Saturday, January 28, 2012

Milestones

Wow, no posts for months and now two in one day. I can guarantee you I won't maintain today's pace :)

Anyway, I am approaching some milestones in the next six months. I will be turning 30 & celebrating my five year anniversary in my current position. Nothing will make you feel like a grown up more than the realization you've been at the same job for five years. When I started here, I was single, living in my condo, dating people, buying shoes & handbags ... living the life.

Fast forward five short years- I am now approaching 30, married with a son and a dog and a house. I have retirement savings and a college fund for my kid. Now I get excited about things like appliances. Don't get me wrong- I still adore my shoes and handbags- but it's not like it used to be.

One recent moment really sticks out to me. My husband and I went to a friend's wedding and hired a babysitter. As I stood in the kitchen and gave her instructions and went over emergency contact numbers... I couldn't believe that I was parent. Surreal.

Another weird realization- I'm not one of the "young kids" at the office anymore. I'm one of the married managers with kids who works extra hours just because, and dresses up even when I don't need to. People ask ME questions now. When did this all happen? I don't know but I kind of like it :) It's bizzare, but somewhat comforting. I just need to make sure I don't start wearing mom-jeans and I'll be fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment