Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sleep Deprived


Who doesn't love some Olympic drama? I certainly do! I love watching the Olympics, hearing the stories of these athletes from all over the world (but especially our USA teams!) and how hard they have trained for so long, to finally be here and compete.... oh how I love it.

The downside is that I'm staying up late each night to watch! Which brings me to a major topic - sleep deprivation! I used to keep a great schedule - I would be in bed around 9:30pm each night, clothes laid out for work, lunch packed and ready to go, gym bag waiting by the door... until my husband (then-boyfriend) moved in with me. He works later hours than I do, so he's not usually getting home until 9:30pm at the earliest, which means that rather than be in bed at 9:30pm, I'm up waiting to see him and spend some time with him before I go to bed. Which translates to both of us falling asleep on the couch, waking up at midnight (or later) and going to bed.

Then I wake up in the morning, exhausted, with no clothes laid out, no lunch packed, no gym bag ready and waiting for me... and no coffee pot set! I've noticed I am getting worse about this during the Olympics. I found a great article on MSN.com, 5 Surprising Signs You're Sleep Deprived. So often we think, I'm just a little sleepy today, but don't realize that being over-tired all the time can affect our job performance, our health, safety, and even our happiness!

That in mind... here's another great article from Prevention.com, Secrets of 5 High Energy Women. I don't know about you but I can definitely take a cue from these chickees. Now armed with these great resources, I'm going to make an effort to hit the sack at a reasonable hour, so I can enjoy my mornings like I used to!

(Also, I don't know about you, but I cannot wait to wake up to sunshine again... spring, please come soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment